Skip to content

Talking to a Specialist

If you’ve had a stroke, help is available – even if it’s been a year or more since your stroke. There are specially trained Stroke Rehabilitation Physicians who know how to treat people dealing with the effects of stroke. The first step is to talk to your family doctor to get a referral. You can then find a Stroke Rehabilitation Specialist near you, and book an appointment.

How to ask your family doctor for a referral

It’s natural to feel a bit nervous about asking for a referral from your family doctor. However, most doctors will be pleased that you and/or your caregiver are taking an active role in your health and will be willing to discuss your concerns and request for additional help. Make sure you are clear on what it is you want from the referral and to whom you would like to be referred. For example: if you want to improve your mobility and spasticity symptoms, and are interested in seeing a specialist to discuss treatment options. You or your caregiver may want to write this down in advance of your appointment, and bring it with you.

Complete the Post-Stroke Quiz to help start the conversation. Print it out and bring it along to your next appointment.

Complete the Post-Stroke Checklist

Complete the Post-Stroke Checklist to see how well you are dealing with the physical challenges after your stroke. Your answers will help your family doctor understand if a referral to a Stroke Rehabilitation Physician may be the best way forward.

The Post-Stroke Checklist should only take a minute or two to complete. It is intended to be used by your doctor in consultation with you and/or your caregiver.

Did you know...
Only 16% of all stroke patients receive in-patient rehabilitation – even though research shows that 40% may benefit from it.

Find a Stroke
Rehabilitation Specialist

Remember: You first need a referral from your family doctor. View More Search Options

Take the Post-Stroke Quiz

View Now

Real Survivors. Real Stories.

View Now